EDGE is the Life-Teen program designed for the Middle School aged teen.
It aims to meet the spiritual, educational, emotional, and social needs of middle school youth. No longer children but not yet adolescents, middle school youth are in the middle of countless changes in their lives and literally on “the edge”, about to cross into the thick of their teenage years.
This program and its leaders address these changes as the youth try to figure out who they are in this world and in the Church. While the youth move from a childlike spirituality into a more adult faith, EDGE helps the youth to come to own their Catholic faith.
Middle School EDGE and Confirmation
Here at St. Pius X we use the EDGE program in conjunction with our Sacrament of Confirmation preparation.
This is a two-year program that begins in 7th grade and is completed with the entrance into high school. Through a variety of teaching methods, middle school teens engage in large group learning, small group discussions, ice-breakers, team builders, skits, music, activities, games, various prayer forms and much more.
In addition to the regular EDGE nights, the teens participate in service opportunities and retreats. All programming and events are designed to foster the youths’ growth in their personal relationships with Christ and his Church.
Middle School Ministry Contact:
Elizabeth Post, Staff
Middle School Faith Formation
4 labor day
11 Edge Kickoff
18 Edge 2 PERMISSION SLIP NEEDED
25 Edge 3
2 Edge 4
8 Parish Day of Service (optional)
9 Edge 5
16 Edge 6
21&22 Fall Retreat
30 NO EDGE
6 Edge 7
12 MS Day of Service
13 Edge 8
20 Edge 9
27 NO EDGE- Thanksgiving break
4 Edge 10
6 8th grade candidate and sponsor 6-8p
11 Edge 11
18 NO EDGE
25 NO EDGE
If your Middle Schooler has missed an Edge night, there will be homework that he/she will need to complete. Homework will be posted below.
Please contact Elizabeth Post with any questions.
A cross between Vacation Bible School and Catholic Heart Work Camp, this summer camp is for Middle Schoolers only! CAMP EDGE is a week-long adventure that will involve energetic (and sometimes messy) games, delicious treats, & crazy overnight adventures; all the while learning about some very important aspects of our Catholic Faith. The only complaint received has been that the camp is Too Short!
CAMP EDGE 2022: Weird Catholic Stuff
This year incoming 7th and 8th graders explored the strange things that make up our Catholic faith! It was a week full of fun, games, & surprises including an overnight trip to Northern Michigan and rafting!
CAMP EDGE 2019: SPX’s Best Kept Secret
Camp Edge 2019 took us on a wild adventure exploring our Catholic heritage in Michigan! We learned how Catholicism came to West Michigan and the great missionaries who brought it here. Our week included visiting various churches in the area and an epic pilgrimage north where we visited the site of Pere Marquette’s grave and also Bishop Baraga’s early church.
MS Confirmation Prep
The Confirmation preparation process is a journey of learning to seek and respond to the Holy Spirit. It is developing a more intimate relationship with Jesus Christ and assuming a role in the greater Church community. Our primary teacher is the Holy Spirit. Faithful adult leaders and high school peer ministers will provide direction, reflection and concrete activities, which aim to help us better understand the Holy Spirit.
The middle school EDGE program is used in conjunction with our Sacrament of Confirmation preparation. This is a two-year program that begins in 7th grade and is completed with the entrance into high school. Through a variety of teaching methods, middle school teens engage in large group learning, small group discussions, community and team, skits, music, activities, games, various prayer forms and much more. In addition to the regular EDGE nights, the teens participate in service opportunities and retreats. All programing and events are designed to foster the youths’ growth in their personal relationships with Christ and his Church.
MS Confirmation Dates
- MS Edge: Scheduled Sundays (see calendar) (80% attendance required)
- Parents & Candidates: weekly Mass attendance
- Personal Interview with Elizabeth (7th grade later in the fall)
- Parish Wide Service Day: Saturday October 8th (optional but counts for fall service)
- Middle School “Fall” Retreat:
- For the guys: Oct. 21&22 (time TBA)
- For the gals: Oct. 21&22 (time TBA)
- MS Service Day: Saturday November 12, 2022 (8th grade at FLPC)
- Choose a sponsor: Sponsor sheet due by November 22, 2022 (8th graders)
- Sponsor Night (8th graders): December 6, 2022 6-8pm Candidate and Sponsors Required
- MS Edge: Scheduled Sundays (see calendar)
- Service Day: February 12 (7th grade pilgrimage to Solanus Casey Center Detroit)
- SPX Confirmation Retreat: Mar 11-12 (8th grade) Saturday -Sunday
- Rite of Entrance: Sunday Mar 12th at 10:30AM Mass (Sponsor required from 8:30-11:30a)
- Letter of Intention: Sunday Mar 26, 2023 (8th grade)
- Personal Interview with Elizabeth (8th graders after Mar 12)
- Choose a Saint’s name and write a short biography him/her: 19 (8th grade)
- Know the Apostles Creed: March 19 (all)
- Participate in Station of the Cross during Lent (TBA)
- Immediate Preparation @ MS Edge: Sunday in Sept-Apr.
- Discern sponsor
- Weekly Mass participation
Sacrament of Confirmation: Cathedral of St Andrew or St. Pius X, Date TBA (8th grade)
(For announcements on final dates/times pay attention to emails/notices/bulletin)
*The retreats are required events. Contact Elizabeth if you have a conflict.
MS Confirmation Paperwork