Eucharist is one of the three Sacraments of Initiation. It is also called Holy Communion. Here it is understood as the Eucharist received where as the Mass is the Eucharist celebrated. We receive the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ under the appearance of bread and wine. As we eat His Body and drink His Blood we become what we eat, more and more like Christ. Sharing in the Eucharist is a sign of our unity as Catholic Christians.
Unlike the other Sacraments of Initiation which we can only receive once in a lifetime, we may receive Eucharist as often as once a day. We are encouraged to receive Communion regularly so that we can continually be renewed and nourished spiritually. Just as we feed our bodies to stay healthy so we should feed our spirits.
1st Communion Preparation
Elizabeth Post, Staff
Preparation for the Sacraments of Reconciliation and First Communion is a two year process beginning in first grade. Students receive the Sacraments toward the end of their second grade year. We work with each family to ensure that their child is ready for such an important step in their faith journey, including those who missed preparation in first grade, those who are older, and those not yet baptized.
Please contact the Formation Office for more information.
The Sacrament Preparation process at St. Pius X Parish includes four primary areas:
- Faith Formation
- Required Parent/Child Retreats (second grade and above)
- Parent’s Faith Growth
- Continued Support at Home
First Reconciliation service takes place during the Lenten Season, and the First Communion Mass is held during the Easter Season.
Sacraments Retreats 2021/2022
The following events are required (second grade and above). You will receive more details about retreats and events throughout the year.
- Wed. Sept. 21; 5:30pm OR Sun. Sept. 25; 10:00am – First Communion Parent Meeting
- Sunday, October 9, 2022 – Sacrament Retreat
- Sunday, January 22, 2023 – Reconciliation Retreat
- Tuesday, February 7, 2023 – First Reconciliation Service
- Sunday, March 5, 2023 – Communion Retreat
- Sun. April 16, 2023 OR Wed. April 19, 2023 – In-Class Real Presence Retreat
- Sunday, May 7, 2023 – First Communion Mass
- Sat. May 13, 2023 OR Sun. May 14 – May Crowning at Mass